« Back to “Toy car for my nephew”

Original plans

For the fun of it, here are the original plans for the car. This is all I had drawn before I built it, all the other images and plans have been drawn afterwards. A product of one night when I couldn't get sleep...

Original plans for the car.

After all, the plans have some recognizable parts. Almost all details have been refined, but the overall structure is still the same. Here are some things that come to mind:

  • No plywood bottom; it would just have decreased the ride height.
  • Three batteries instead of two, giving 3.6 volts with NiMH.
  • Route detection phototransistors are underneath, but the software doesn't use them anyway.
  • Larger servo, just because I didn't think while shopping.
  • Simpler L-piece in steering.
  • Spring linkage for servo.
  • Nuts for mounting wheels, instead of solder. (Thank god, I had to take it apart dozens of times during construction.)
  • No shock absorbers.

The biggest problem in the plans is poor dimensioning, the car is really very short on space. Planning while doing makes it a lot more exciting, though :)

– Petteri Aimonen on 22.9.2010

Comment on this page (no comments so far)